Vector GPS (gnss) options

Untitled Forums International Hydrometry Network Flow Measurements ADCP Vector GPS (gnss) options

• Creator
    Topic

Hi

I was not sure if I should add this to the thread “GPS Compass Configuration” or start a new one, but I chose a new one.

At NVE (Norway) we are considering to buy Vector GPS (gnss) to get both boat velocity and heading info from the GPS.

If such a unit exist, we want

– Survey grade position (1-2 cm accuracy)

– Option to use base station (same or other brand)

– Built in mobile modem to receive correction data (from virtual base stations) on RTCM- format V2.3 or V3.1

– Easy to setup with Sontek/TRDI adcps

– Light weight

– Easy to operate and reliable quality

Questions

1) Am I right when I think that there is no need to do compass calibration/evaluation then using vector GPS?

2) Who (which agency/company) uses vector GPS regularly?

3) What brand/model do you use, and how is your experience with it? (Reliability, accuracy, ease of use,…)

4) Are there any units that meet all (or most) of my wishes?

Kristoffer

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Nick EverardNick Everard

Hi Kristoffer

A lot of Vector GPS systems are in use in the UK with Sontek M9 ADCPs.

We mostly have the V102 (this is what I have), and it seems to work really well. The V102 is not super high precision, but is certainly good enough for routine discharge measurements.

It could be argued that you might want to calibrate your compass in case of issues with the GPS, but as long as the GPS signal is good enough (which it has always been for me in the UK), the need to calibrate compass is pretty much eliminated.

I believe the cable that enables the V102 to be added to M9 ADCPs was developed by Nick Martin at Xylem in the UK.

One thing to note: the battery consumption increases quite a lot.

I’m afraid I can’t advise if you want higher precision, but for us the V102 has been great!

Thanks. Do you use the V102 alone or with a base station?

Nick EverardNick Everard

We use it alone, with no base station….

It is perhaps not good enough for river mapping applications, but is good enough for Q measurements and if you wanted to map a lake or reservoir…

So many UK rivers have sources of magnetic interference in the banks of or nearby that it is one of the best upgrades for UK ADCP users.

Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.