Hysteresis

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant

Dear all!

We are searching for information on how hysteresis can affect data quality over time in various water courses. All information is welcome.

All the best

Katarina Stensen and Maud Goltsis Nilsson

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies

Hi Katarina and Maud,

Without being able to contribute much to answering your question I think part of the problem with hysteresis is that it can be a bit cryptic. You will need quite a lot of measurments on a rating curve to be able to discern what is hysteresis and what is uncertainty or just stochastic variation due to some rocks moving here and there.

To further complicate things, I would also expect stations where there is a lot of measurements to have man made weirs to a larger extent, and therefor to be less prone to hysteresis. I might be dead wrong here though.

However, I have seen some brilliant examples of hysteresis on rating curves created by Mark Randall. In his example he used a fixed camera to capture video for surface velocimetry and did several hundred discharge measurements during the course of a year or so and the hysteresis was very evident.

/Daniel

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.